Ahead of the World Cup Fantasy game’s start, tipster Bakchod FPL looks at the results of the international friendlies before the start of the tournament and the best players in each game.
A couple of friendlies did take place over the last few days; analyzing the same in this post and checking what it means for #WCFantasy assets.
🇦🇪 UAE 0-5 Argentina 🇦🇷
- Argentina lined up in a 4-3-3 with Alvarez-Messi-Di Maria upfront; Lautaro didn’t start, and neither did he come on during the match.
- Di Maria was excellent with two 2G 1A in 45 mins – the first was a volley, and in the second, he dribbled past a defender and the keeper; he also consistently sent in good crosses from the right.
- Messi was also continuously involved, with seven shots and 1G 1A; he took a few shots from outside the box and sent a free kick over the bar.
- Rodrigo De Paul played the complete 90 mins and had 1A; he can be a good bench player at 5M.
- Argentina’s defence looked sturdy for most of the match; Lisandro did pick up a yellow card but had a good game overall.
🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia 0-1 Croatia 🇭🇷
- KSA looked better than Croatia in the game, in fact, they had more shots than Croatia – 13 (with one on target), while Croatia had seven (with two on target).
- However, this was Croatia’s bench team. Only two players (keeper Dominik Livaković and midfielder Marcelo Brozović) of the starting 11 are expected to start in the MD1 game vs Morocco.
- Key targets Modrić and Perišić came on in the 65th minute. Modrić did assist the winner scored by Kramarić, only ~25 minutes, but neither Modrić nor Perišić looked impressive in the time that they were on.
- Recency bias, but after watching the highlights of these two matches, I am inclined to make the Modrić to Di Maria (both 8.5M) move and double up on Argentina’s attack.
- I was impressed by Mohamed Kanno of KSA. He had a few good chances (even hitting the post on one occasion); the midfielder is priced at only 4M.
🇴🇲 Oman 0-1 Germany 🇩🇪
- While they did get a winner in the 80th minute, Germany didn’t look very convincing.
- There were gaps in the defence that Oman didn’t capitalize on; there was buildup, but final passes were missing, or incorrect passes were made.
- Sané had five shots in total, but none were really good chances; Gündoğan and Goretzka looked decent, but I don’t think I will be getting any German assets in my team based on this performance.
- Germany start off their campaign with games against Japan and Spain, both tricky fixtures.
🇬🇭 Ghana 2-0 Switzerland 🇨🇭
- Ghana dominated the game and had a lot of chances; Ghana had 11 shots (with six on target), and Switzerland had seven shots (with none of them being on target).
- Salisu and Semenyo scored goals, and Jordan Ayew created many chances for Ghana.
🇵🇹 Portugal 4-0 Nigeria 🇳🇬
- Portugal had 61% of the possession, 12 shots (five on target) vs four for Nigeria (three on target).
- Fernandes had four shots (apart from the penalty) in the 45 minutes he was on; Felix had three shots; Ronaldo wasn’t in the squad.
- Fernandes is priced at 9.5M, ~1M cheaper than the premiums; I don’t think a premium asset like KDB/Neymar should be downgraded to get Fernandes in. However, someone like Modric/Sane can be upgraded. Fernandes is currently owned by only 10% of World Cup Fantasy teams.
- Portugal does have a tricky group, though, with Ghana, Uruguay and South Korea.
- Cancelo didn’t start/come on; Dalot started as RB, did assist the first Fernandes goal and conceded a penalty as well (saved by Patricio).
🇯🇴 Jordan 1-3 Spain 🇪🇸
- Spain had 73% of the possession and 16 shots (six on target).
- Fati had four shots and scored the opener for Spain, and he did create a couple of chances.
- However, at 7.5M, I don’t think he should be considered; if you can’t afford a premium forward, Richarlison or Batshuayi are budget picks. Núñez at 9M can be considered as well if you don’t have the extra ~1.5M for a premium pick.
- Sarabia also had four shots in the 58 minutes that he was on and started up front on the right in the 4-3-3; also priced at 7.5M, but better options are available.
- I haven’t considered any Spain assets till now, and I don’t plan on getting any after this friendly either; incidentally, both Fati and Sarabia have ownership of <1%.
🇧🇪 Belgium 1-2 Egypt 🇪🇬
- Belgium had 67% of the possession, eight shots (with two on target) vs six for Egypt (five on target).
- KDB was on for 45 minutes, and he didn’t have a good game; his error, in fact, led to Egypt’s first goal.
- Batshuayi did start up front (as Lukaku is injured) and played 45 minutes. He had one good chance in the 10th minute where he hit the post; Hazard didn’t look good.
- Carrasco looked better than the other players in the Belgium team. He had three shots and kept sending crosses in the box from the left; he even assisted Openda’s goal.
- Trossard wasn’t a part of the squad today, but as per Martinez, he should be fine for the group stages; at only 5.5M and the form that he has been in the Premier League this year, he could be a great pick if he starts.
- I was considering Sane and Musiala as I didn’t have any German assets, so I won’t be making any moves right now.
- I hadn’t considered Spain’s assets earlier, still won’t be considering them.
- With no clarity on Richarlison starting (seeing discussions that Jesus could start instead) and based on the performance in the friendlies, I have moved out Richarlison and KDB and brought in Neymar and Di Maria.
- I have Modric, and will be staying with him for now; he didn’t get many minutes, so difficult to judge (although he did get an assist).
You can find additional World Cup Fantasy resources for the 22/23 season here.